ISO 1400 is known as a generic management system standard, meaning that it is relevant to any organisation seeking to improve and manage resources more effectively.
ISO 14001 sets out the criteria for an Environment Management System (EMS). It does not state requirements for environmental performance, but maps out a framework that a company or organisation can follow to set up an effective EMS. Using ISO 1400 can provide assurance to company management and employees as well as external stakeholders that environmental impact is being measured and improved.
The ISO 14001 standard is based on the Plan-Check-Do-Review-Improve cycle. The Plan cycle deals with the beginning stages of an organization becoming ISO 14001-compliant. The Check cycle deals with checking and correcting errors. The Do cycle is the implementation and operation of the ISO 14001 standard within an organization. The Review cycle is a review of the entire process by the organization’s top management. And the Improve cycle is a cycle that never ends as an organization continually finds ways to improve their EMS.
Certified companies will have a certificate that bears a stamp similar to the one below. The stamp can vary in size, colour and shape, it can even be embedded within the companies logo, but the key identifier is the words ISO 14001 Certified or ISO 14001 Registered.
Benefits of ISO 14001 Certification:
By completing ISO 14001 certification your organisation can assure stakeholders that your environmental management system (EMS) meets international industry specific environmental standards. Every company large and small; industrial, manufacturing, services, or trade related had an impact on the environment and can therefore benefit from ISO 14001 certification.
- Identify cost savings with greater emphasis on resource, waste and energy management
- Develop the corporate image and credibility
- Quantify, monitor and control the impact of operations on the environment, now and in the future
- Ensure legislative awareness and compliance
- Improve environmental performance of supply chain
- Protect the company, assets, shareholders and directors
- Potentially decrease public liability insurance costs for your organisation
- Grow your access to business partners and potential customers